Skip to content

GlaxoSmithKline LLC (GSK)

GlaxoSmithKline plc (GSK)
Overview
GlaxoSmithKline plc (GSK) could also be a British multinational pharmaceutical company headquartered in London, England. Setup in 2000 after combining companies Glaxo Wellcome and SmithKline Beecham. GSK was the world's sixth-largest pharmaceutical company as established in Forbes in the year 2019, after Pfizer, Novartis, Roche, Sanofi, and Merck & Co. GlaxoSmithKline plc (GSK) is the tenth-largest pharmaceutical company, as mentioned in 2019 Fortune 500, ranked behind other pharmaceutical companies. Including China Resources, Johnson & Johnson, Roche, Sino pharm, Pfizer, Novartis, Bayer, Merck, and Sanofi.
GSK–Pfizer venture
In December 2018, GSK announced that it had reached an agreement to merge. In addition, mix their consumer healthcare divisions into one entity alongside Pfizer. The combined entity would have sales of around £9.8 billion ($12.7 billion), with GSK maintaining a 68% controlling stake within the venture. Pfizer would own the remaining 32% shareholding. The deal builds on an earlier 2018 deal where GSK bought out Novartis' stake within the GSK-Novartis consumer healthcare joint business.
Subsequent split
The culmination of the buyer Healthcare string of deals will end in GSK splitting into two separate companies. Namely, a demerger and subsequent listing of the venture. This may create two publicly traded companies. That will be specializing in pharmaceuticals and research & development, the opposite of consumer healthcare.
Venture arms
SR One was set up in 1985 by SmithKline Beecham to take a position in new biotechnology companies and continued operating after GSK. By 2003, GSK created another subsidiary, GSK Ventures, to out-license. Also either start new companies around drug candidates. That aims that it didn't develop further. As of 2003, SR One attended invest as long as the corporate aligned with GSK's business.

In September 2019, GSK announced it might acquire Sitari Pharmaceuticals and its transglutaminase two small molecule program to treat the disorder.

Showing all 12 results